Monday, October 29, 2012

Adventures in Potty Training - Day 1

Today is the day.  After much procrastination, we are starting to potty train my 2 year old. My oldest is so excited to teach her and while I am excited to stop changing diapers the overriding emotion here is fear. I keep reminding myself that I have a fully trained 5 year old at home, it wasn't that hard...was it? 

The truth is, I didn't train my oldest. I was a full-time working mom when she was in this stage and my day-home provider trained her. Of course I had her on the weekends and evenings but I seemed to mess up any progress she made during the week and set them back for Monday morning. I also had a fantastic day-home provider who washed, dried and folded soiled clothing before I picked her up. I had to deal with far less potty-training messes that the average mom and yet I still look back and cringe at this period of my oldest daughters life. 

Potty-training was a bit of a nightmare to be honest. My daughter used to pee on the floor when I put her in time out so that she wouldn't have to stay a full two minutes.  It was frustrating to see her have impressive control like this, then have an accident a few hours later because she forgot! Don't get me started on the poo-covered room I found more than once after nap! I remember a ton of tears (mine) and it seemed like other kids figured it out overnight where mine seemed to take a full 6 months to master her new skill. I realize that all of the issues we had probably had more to do with me that her. I was a first time mom with high expectations and to little patience.

So today, we set out on this (hopefully painless) journey, I'm hoping that I learned something the first time around and I'm not going in quite as blind as I did 3 years ago! I have to admit my heart is broken a little that my baby is grown up enough for this stage but we'll take it one hour at a time and pray that she catches on quick!

2 comments:

Kelly H said...

I'm with you! Potty training was way more of a process than I thought it would be. But the issues were totally my expectations. You'll get there and hopefully the journey is not too messy!

Christy said...

Good luck! Potty training was definitely my least favourite part of parenting so far. Just remember - it eventually gets better (even though it always sucks in the middle of it!) ;)