Monday, April 18, 2011
Message to the mama's - Take the help!
I admit that I am not the first person to ask for help. I've been guilty of saying "No. I'm fine." when I really, really wasn't. When Madilyn was born I was deadset on breastfeeding. I was committed, then my baby starting shrinking.
My midwife and I tried everything to try to get my supply up. This meant that Maddi was attached to me constantly and if she wasn't, a pump was. My older daughter was getting extremely frustrated with the whole situation and was acting out constantly. Of course I didn't ask for help.
What's worse?
I didn't accept the help that was offered. My mom offered to take my 3 year old to Fort McMuray for a week to give me a break. I said no, over and over again. My sister finally convinced me to let her go so that I could focus on getting my sweet baby healthy again. I felt so relieved and wondered why I had put up such a fight to allow someone to help me.
I think we all need to remember that "Can I help you?" does not mean "You can't do it" it doesn't mean "You're failing" and it most of all does not mean "You're not a good mother". However, it does mean that I have someone in my life willing to go out of their way to help me. Lucky me. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
amen! this is so true & relevant and I have the same exact problem - it's called supermom syndrome and most of us have it!
Awesome post! Thanks for sharing what so many others are thinking but are afraid to admit!
Post a Comment