Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Maya's Stillbirth Story: A baby is a baby, no matter how small.


I have four children, you’ll only see me with three of them at playdates or shopping at Wal-Mart.  But I have four.  When I explain that I have an angel baby I see people get a little uncomfortable.  I see the sadness in their faces.  I hear their justifications for why it happened. Most of the time they try to change the subject.  I’ve heard so many times that it would have been easier if she had passed away earlier.  That it must have been so much harder carrying her for that long and then losing her.  There is nothing that could make losing a baby easier.  She would have been my baby if I had carried her for 6 days, 6 weeks or 6 months.  As soon as you see those two pink lines you have plans, dreams and a love for that baby that consumes you so completely.  You can imagine their tiny hands wrapping around your finger, you can picture them learning to walk and saying their very first words. 
We found out we were pregnant just a week after returning from our wedding in Jamaica. Excitement, joy, and a whole lot of worry set in. In no time at all, we were 12 weeks along (that magic number) and started spreading our news to family, work, and every social media outlet that would listen.  Then I saw red. You know that feeling your whole pregnancy. You don't want to look down just in case you see that awful colour you’re dreading.  There it was. I thought, well maybe it's implantation bleeding, doing the math it I knew it wasn't, but I just wanted it to be anything other than the only thing my mind could think of - miscarriage.  After describing the symptoms to the triage nurse, she loudly stated  "Oh that doesn't sound good, you're probably having a spontaneous abortion." Nice.  Like my body had some sort of disdain for this baby and called off the whole thing.  Finally they came in with the doppler and there it was! I hear that familiar and incredible sound of tiny horses galloping in my belly!! It's  funny how such a small sound can change your world so much.
They sent me for an ultrasound and found out it's a subchorionic bleed, which is basically an accumulation of blood between layers of the placenta, 20% of women have them but most aren't even detected.  Mine unfortunately was larger than most and required bedrest.  From then on, I was waited on hand and foot.  Sounds like fun right?? Not when you have a 18 month old that so desperately wants you to continue on with your daily activities, but you aren't even able to lift her into her carseat or pick her up for a cuddle.  Without the help of some amazing mamas, those three months would have been unbearable.  They babysat, cooked meals, arranged playdates and always remained positive.  We joked that this little Jamaican baby was trying to teach his mama to relax a little!
After two more months, she was still strong and everything seemed to be improving, I felt all the bed rest and ultrasounds were worth it, I was really going to be able to meet my baby.  24 weeks, I kept repeating to myself.  Babies are viable outside the womb at 24 weeks.  I was almost there. 
Then it happened.  I will never forget the day we found out we had lost her.   All the kicks and movement had tapered off and I had this terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach.  I tried to pretend she was alright and that I was just being paranoid.  We watched the ultrasound monitor, she was so still.  I cried all night wondering what I had done, what I hadn’t done.  I dreaded waking up in the morning knowing I had to deliver a baby that I couldn’t take home. 
When they induced me they thought it might take days to start the labour, I secretly hoped it just wouldn’t start at all.  But the labour began quickly and before I knew it I was having strong contractions.  I wept and prayed for God to give me the strength to do this; my body was doing the opposite of what I really wanted.  I wanted to just keep her in my belly, safe and warm; I wanted to pretend she would come out alive and well.  After only 4 short hours we were holding our sweet baby girl, Maya Grace.
We were surrounded with so much love that words can’t even describe. That tiny hospital room became a place of peace and calm.  We didn't even cry holding her, how could we cry holding someone so beautiful? 
Days turned into months and everyday a little bit of strength returned.  I grew with this experience more than words can ever explain.  I've become more loving, more caring and I cherish every second I have with my kids.  I revel in the small things; like the look on my daughters face when she's done something wrong, or that tiny trickle of drool my son leaves on my arm when he's sleeping.  I tell them I love them more than they probably need to hear. I hug them (a lot). Every chance I get to be their mommy - I take it.
I feel lucky. I feel blessed to have had the chance to hold my sweet angel.  To see her hands, toes, and kiss her lips. I know most people think it would be harder to have a stillbirth and harder still to have a baby who passed away after birth. But I would give anything for even an hour of my baby's life, to see her sweet smile or open her eyes.
I want my experience to shed some light on stillbirth, miscarriage and early infant death.  We've all been touched by at least one of these, but most likely all three.  You’ve probably had a friend of a friend deliver a stillborn, or your aunt had a baby pass away from SIDS.  I'm sure you know at least a handful of women that have had miscarriages, if you haven't had one yourself.
These babies though small, some just a few weeks along, are our children.  They stay with us forever whether you have subsequent children or not. I think of my daughter and this experience often.  I’ve learned that most people have no idea what to say or what not to say to a woman who’s just lost a baby.  I have some advice for helping someone heal from such an incredible loss.
Don't expect her to be "normal".  She will never be the same. Forget who she was and just follow her as she becomes the mother of an angel baby.
Don't avoid talking about her loss.  She is always thinking about her baby so don't be afraid you'll upset her.  
Let her cry. She needs to cry.
Don't tell her she can have more.  Compare it to if someone lost their sister, would you say "Well at least you have another sibling?"
Say her baby's name.  She needs other people to acknowledge her child and hear her  baby's name from someone else's lips
She doesn’t need to hear “It was for the best”.  It just doesn’t matter to her. She wants to be holding a baby, not a box of tissues.
What I did need was support.  I needed someone to listen to me if I needed to talk.  I needed people to just be there. I needed hugs.  I needed to cry and I needed to laugh. 
I know Maya will always be with me.  I feel her presence as my children giggle with joy blowing bubbles that float gingerly in the air.  As I continue to heal I keep her in my heart even if I can’t hold her in my arms.
                              

For more stories about miscarriage, stillbirth, or early infant death
 or to share your own please visit:

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing!

Sarah said...

Thank you so much for sharing! I cried as I remembered the raw feelings of our miscarriage. You're right: a baby is a baby, no matter how small. Some people just don't get that though.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written. Thank you.

Kellie said...

Thanks for sharing this Kristin. This just brought me back to her funeral. You had such strength, more than I did. I often think about this and wish things had turned out differently for her. I appreciate the tips on how to help families. Xoxo
Kellie Bosch

Anonymous said...

Bawled like a baby reading this. I can only imagine the grief mothers who experience losing a child go through, and just thinking about it breaks my heart. I am guilty of not knowing how to support women who mention their angel babies only because I am unsure what I would want others to do if it were me. I think acknowledging their existence, not matter how short is definitely a must. It brings awareness to them being a valid and treasured part of your life.

Anonymous said...

Hi, you don't know me but a friend of mine had a link to your blog on her facebook page so I checked it out. I lost my son over 3 months ago now. He was 33 days old. I am grateful that I got to hold him and hear him cry, but I wish I could have seen him smile and that I could have raised him with his brother and sisters. I will always have 4 children even though like you, people will only ever see me with 3. I will not deny his existance. He will forever be a part of my heart and my family. The points you made about a grieving mother are so true. Thank you for sharing your story. You have a gift with words.
Laura

Terra said...

Thank you for being so strong and sharing your story. You're very courageous.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. I've lost two babies (one at 12 weeks and one at 6) and although I didn't get to hold them and many people didn't even know I was pregnant, to me, I have three kids (not two) and sometimes I stutter when people ask if Ian is my only. I remember how often random people would ask us why we didn't have kids. I finally got to the point where I said "we do, but they are dead". I know it's mean, but I got tired of denying my losses and pretending things were great when people who didn't really want to know the truth pretended to care. Thanks so much. It must have been both painful and cathartic to share.

divinity said...

I am really grateful to have the information from this blog. I liked the blog as it has been written,the information i got from here.

Sharla said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story and the story of your precious daughter.

Angie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I unfortunatly know what you're going thru. I lost my baby almost 3 years ago at 36 weeks. not a day goes by that I don't think of her and wish she was here. I had a rainbow baby a year after. I know what you mean by you holding your living children a little tighter and longer. I'm so thankful for him. But will always have Rachael in my heart! Thank you for sharing your story!

Alyson said...

Here from Unspoken Grief. Thank you so much for sharing your story. It is so much like how we lost our Lauren just last month. It does my heart good to see proof that you can come out the other side and go on to have a happy life and family. You give me hope for the future. Hugs to you and yours.

Sean said...

I know I'm not a mom, but we lost our son--he was stllborn. I just read your post on Unspoken Grief. It is beautifully written. And your advice is spot on. Thank you.

momstown Edmonton South said...

Thank you all for your beautiful comments and kind words. I feel so blessed to share Maya's story and am overjoyed to hear my words have helped even one person. This experience has been very healing for me.
Thank you for reading.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing Maya's story. It has been almost 2 years since my sweet Hannah was still-born and I still miss her everyday. Her baby brother was born 6m ago and it seems like most people figure I'm "over losing her" now, but like you said I have 3 kids.