Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Crunchy Parenting Is The New Black

I feel the pressure to be crunchy. As well as owning momstown I'm a birth doula which in itself is a whole lot of crunchy. A conversation on facebook recently had me googling Kombucha and still can't wrap my head around what a scoby actually is and why everyone shares them. I have multiple baby carriers but I rarely use the word babywearer. I had a homebirth, but I couldn't fathom eating my placenta, not in pill form and especially not in a meatloaf. I'm a little on the crunchy side but I still like my to rely on my old stand-bys like McDonalds and strollers.  Sometimes in this world it feels like you need to choose sides.  But I really feel like I'm dead centre in the crunchy spectrum. 

I think it's amazing that we have so many exciting options out there that are more natural and better for the environment. The sheer amount of information available is incredible! I can definitely see the appeal of adopting the crunchy lifestyle, but there are some things that just aren't for me.  I totally understand why the crunchy mamas seem to have a bond, as I can't really jump into a conversation about spirulina without making a complete fool of myself.  What I'm hoping is that our crunchy mamas and their smooth counterparts can respect each others decisions in how we parent our children and live our lives.  I'm taking a stand and it's not quite crunchy.  I'm declaring myself as oatmeal, pretty much smooth but with some lumpy bits and I won't choose sides because I want to be on both : )

p.s. for all you smooth mamas out there this is a scoby...It still icks me out but it does have some really amazing health benefits!    

No comments: