Wednesday, May 9, 2012

No One Wants To Be The Mom With "That Kid"

I had to write this post after a conversation recently with a momstown member who said she rarely came out to events because she doesn't want to be the mom with "that kid". I understood what she meant and I do know "that kid".  "That kid" pushes, cries, takes toys, hits, throws tantrums, pulls hair, screams, runs away, and gets into everything.  I'd be hard pressed to find one kid that does all of these things at a single event.  But I've seen every momstown kid display at least one of these behaviors (including my own) at one time or another.  Guess what? We all have "that kid".  No one has a perfect child and not one of us claims to be a perfect parent.


Moms. If your kid is driving you nuts - get them out of the house.  Whether they misbehave at a momstown event or at home, at least you get some sanity saving conversation and a little bit of a break.  I know it can be embarrassing to have "that kid".  But at least you aren't at the grocery store getting glares from people who don't understand.  You'll be surrounded by other mom's that have "that kid" too and no one is judging you, your child or how you deal with it.  momstown is about more than just entertaining your kids.  We want to support you.  We want you to connect with your community.  We want you to know you are not alone.  The best way to get the most out of momstown is to just jump in - even on the cranky days ; ) 


If you have a lot of cranky days (like us) sign up for a free 1 month membership! 


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this! I tell moms all the time don't stay at home if your kids are cranky that is when you really need the support! Besides, we are better in numbers..LOL

Ann-Marie - momstown mama said...

so agree - get 'that kid' into MORE social situations, not less. Just like everything, practice makes perfect. Mostly :)

Ally @momstownAlly said...

Sometimes 'that kid' surprises us and ends up being better behaved than we expect! I've been there!

Claudia Harvey said...

Totally agree - get out of the house and give your child practice. Sounds like a very supportive environment for mom and child! Hopefully after some outings, soon you wont be the "Mom with that kid" and you'll be able to support up-and-coming "Mom's with that kid" and offer your guidance or just an ear!

Melissa said...

I definitely had 'that kid'! But now I'm the mom with the most socially adept kid in the world, because I gave him opportunities every single day to interact with other people. GREAT post!