Friday, August 31, 2012

When Life Hits You With A Traffic Pole.

As most of you know last week Janine and I were on our way to momstown Central Alberta's Birthday Party delivering coffee and Clifford and were involved in a pretty serious accident.  It was scary.  The truck we were in is completely totaled (apparently traffic poles are very hard).   I wasn't wearing a seat belt (I know. I swear we were only 20 feet from the parking lot) so my head hit the rear view mirror and broke the windshield.  Besides a mild concussion and some really sore muscles we are thankfully okay.  Clifford was not injured either, I know you were probably concerned.  We've been graced with unbelievable amounts of support in this recovery.  I feel completely overwhelmed with the kind acts and prayers that have come our way.  
Ouch. 

Being 34 weeks pregnant, the magnitude of the accident really hit me hard.  The whole situation just seems like a metaphor for my life.  I am always rushing.  I rush from place to place from thought to thought.  Until something (in this case a traffic light) forces me to slow down.  In July alone I was in a parade, won a scavenger hunt, planned a city wide Birthday Bash, attended an overnight birth, hosted countless events, attended 3 birthday parties, all while working part time and trying to be the attentive (32 week pregnant) mother of 2, not to mention running this thriving small business.  

Whoa. Can you say overload?!? 

I know I'm not the only one running at this crazy pace.  I need to learn from this unfortunate accident and slow down.  How do we as mothers (and business owners) do this? I'm so used to being pulled in a thousand directions that this one week of forced peace and calm felt like torture.  My goal with the rest of this pregnancy and the month after this little one arrives it to take the time to enjoy the moments.  Enjoy these last kicks that I could have lost as a result of the accident.  Enjoy the time I have left with my kids being a mom of two.  And enjoy all the precious moments after this baby is born - those I cannot repeat.  I hope you can learn from my experience and a traffic pole doesn't have to hit you to make you slow down. 

5 comments:

Tanya said...

I am so thankful you guys are OK! Good idea about taking it easy and enjoying the last days of your pregnancy and being a mom of 2!

Christy said...

So glad you're all okay! Definitely a scary moment but a strong reminder to remember to take the time to just "breathe" in between life's busy moments. xo

Erica @ momstown Calgary said...

Love this - great message! So glad you both are okay.

Anonymous said...

So glad you both are okay. Sometimes we don't listen to life's little reminders and need a big one to get it through our brains.

Melissa said...

Oh dear, totally missed this. I am so glad you are both okay. I pushed myself too over the summer, and when my 2 boys got sick it was like I had no immunity - it was like my body was forcing me to get the rest I needed. Not quite a pole, but the message was clear. Again, so glad you are okay, and looking forward to our monthly meeting. :)