Sunday, August 26, 2012

My First Step to Being a Healthy Happier Mommy

When my daughter was born I started talking about losing the baby weight (who was I kidding 90% of the extra weight had nothing to do with my pregnancy).  Regardless, I was focused on my health and wanting to make a change. I was adamant that I never wanted my daughter to hear me talk about my weight. I did not want her to see me struggle with my body image, self-esteem or pant size. 

Fast-forward 5 years. Still struggling. That's 1825 days of being unhappy with myself. Countless diets, programs, shakes, pills and bootcamps and I'm in the exact same place.

Recently at my daughters immunization appointment the community health nurse pointed out that my healthy and active five year old is landing in the overweight category on the BMI chart for children. BMI chart for children? I didn't know there was such a thing. The nurse talked about obesity and children while my daughter listened intently. I felt angry and confused when I left the appointment. My daughter looks completely 'normal' to me, she isn't visibly bigger than any other kids her age. I would never have guessed she was falling in the overweight category.


Source: babydustdiaries.com
Sarah, a registered dietitian at Simply Yours Nutrition weighed in on the reasoning behind the BMI charting for children who are so young. She explained that more than anything else, it's an indicator for obesity in adulthood. She said something that really hit home for me.  As parents, we are modeling relationships with food for our children. They learn to eat by watching us. Crap.

So feeding my kids fruits and veggies while I inhale McDonalds doesn't cut it? [Insert mommy guilt here]. I've always said that if I just fed myself as consciously as I feed by kids, I'd have no problems with my weight. I've decided that maybe that's not even good enough.

I'm not concerned with being skinny, fitting into a certain size or weighing a certain amount. My sole goal is to be healthy, to be a good role model for my kids as they grow up. I'm starting the Team in Training half marathon training program in November to help raise money for a fantastic cause and get healthy at the same time!

momstown Edmonton has organized a team of twelve amazing mamas who are raising money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and training for the BMO Vancouver Marathon on May 5th, 2013! Our goal is to raise $40,000 before the marathon in May! Click here to make a donation - every little bit helps!


3 comments:

Chelsea said...

I can't believe I missed this post when you originally wrote it. Wow. You are one of (you are both) two of the most beautiful women I know. Whenever momstown Edmonton comes up in conversation, I inevitably say that it's owned by identical twins who are absolutely stunning. Good for you for focusing on your health, not on your weight. Know how gorgeous you are, both outside and inside.

xo
Chelsea

Julia B said...

I almost feel as if the Dr. shouldn't have said anything in front of the child she's talking about as a candidate for adult obesity. Children really are listening to everything you say, and she might be a bit confused about it.

Good for you for starting a healthy lifestyle, though!! Very inspiring!!

Love you, and all your posts :)
Julia

momstown Edmonton South said...

Thank you Chelsea, that is very sweet :)

Julia - I completely agree, I was livid when I left the office but I couldn't tell if it was because of the way the information was presented or because of my own guilt. I decided that either way I need to make a change so that my daughter doesn't have to face similar conversations with her kids years from now.

Thank you both for your support! I'm very excited to start this journey!