Saturday, December 29, 2012

Taboo Topics - Donated Breastmilk

Our little Liam has thrown us yet another curve ball.  Not only did his delivery not go as planned, now we're struggling with his health.  This baby, although seemingly healthy and happy, did not gain a single ounce for an entire month. He's 2 months old and still stuck at his birth weight.  It's funny to me how I could see my child everyday for an entire month and be totally oblivious to his lack of weight gain. I was shocked as I saw the number on the scale stay the same for a whole month.  We've had some tests done and it seems Liam just isn't absorbing nutrients like he should be.  At this point until anything else is confirmed this means that he needs to be supplemented in some way as I don't have the milk supply to feed him what he needs to grow.  So we're doing something that many people either don't do, don't talk about or don't agree with.  We are milk sharing. Well, I guess we're just milk taking since I am on the receiving end of this arrangement. 

Milk sharing, although not a new phenomenon, seems like it's still too taboo to talk openly about.  My pediatrician's exact reaction with a very stern face was "You know, the institutions don't support that because of....the AIDS."  It took me by surprise because I am not the most crunchy mama on the block, but choosing to use donated milk to help my baby grow wasn't a hard decision or a decision at all, really.  Why is it that it is so taboo though? It is just milk after all.  Cows make it and mothers make it.  Does it really matter who's udder or nipple it comes from?  Right now, knowing that something could be preventing my child from absorbing nutrients properly only makes me want to continue to provide the very best possible source of nutrition for his tiny, growing body.  

Reading this blog about a mama being kicked out of a moms group for milk sharing just blew my mind.  I've never talked about the fact that I'm using an amazing momstown mama's milk to feed my child but I just assumed I would be supported.  It would be nice if every mama who has had difficulty nursing had access to a wonderful donor who could help her get as far as she needs.  I am thankful for initiatives that make it easier for moms to find donor milk like Human Milk 4 Human Babies and Calgary Mothers Milk Bank. 

I am sharing my story to help the mom who's struggling with nursing and isn't quite ready or comfortable enough to ask a friend for help. I was that mom and without the offer I'm not sure I would have been courageous enough to ask. I'm also writing this as a thank you to all those mamas who donate their milk to women like me. I hope you know just how much your gift of liquid gold means to moms that really need it. I am incredibly grateful while I watch the wrinkles on my baby's legs turn to chubby rolls.

What do you think about milk sharing? Do you have a milk sharing story to share?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think milk sharing is fantastic. I wish someone had shared with me when I was producing zero and had to go to formula instead. Why wouldn't we want what's best for our child? As you said, it's NOT a new phenomenon - we've all heard of wet nurses, right? And now, milk sharing is done through a bottle, which should remove the ick-factor for the ([pointlessly) squeamish people out there. People are so strangely judgemental.

Cparker said...

I think the idea of milk sharing is absolutely fantastic, I have a great milk supply, I pump over 6oz a day and my LO will not drink milk from anything other than my nipple so I have so much milk just stored and can't find anywhere around here to donate it.