Monday, December 19, 2011

A new momstown tradition - Santas Anonymous!

 
momstown loves to give back, chapters all over the country are working together this year to help people in our communities.  This year, momstown Edmonton-South decided to help out by delivering gift hampers for Santas Anonymous.  Walking into the Santas Depot seeing all of those bags piled high with gifts for needy local families made me both proud and overwhelmed.  I was thankful that so many people had donated; their generosity allowed so many families to have a christmas that they might not have had otherwise.  I was overwhelmed by the realization that so many families in our city are in need.  We were shocked to see the delivery map, there were needy families in every area of the city.  We didn't deliver toys to the inner city, we delivered toys to my local neighbourhood.  We quickly became aware that these people are no different from us.  Who hasn't struggled to make ends meet? So many families are only a lay-off away from being in this very same place.

Delivering the gifts was a rewarding experience, next year, I'll be bringing the kids along. We got hugs and handshakes of thanks from the grateful parents.  I was glad to have done my part but dissapointed in myself that I hadn't done more. Next year I will do more.  We've decided that this will be an annual event for momstown Edmonton South and next year we hope to add a wrapping team and a few more delivering teams.  We are so thankful for the momstown mama's that took time out of the last weekend before Christmas to join us in delivering some joy to our neighbourhood.

Did you know that momstown.ca is also helping out this holiday season? For the month of December they are making a donation to the Red Cross for every new 'like' on their facebook page! Click here for the details! Want to help out in your community? Check out these great ideas for how you can give back - with your kids!

No comments: