Friday, September 7, 2012

Mommy Confessions ...

Sometimes I wish my daughter would misbehave at school.

It was our first week of school. It was exciting, fun and nerve-wracking. My oldest daughter entered Kindergarten and the teacher asked me on the first day if there's anything she should know about my little girl. Well yes, there are a few things to know. She can be mean, rude, loud and violent; but I didn't say that because I knew I didn't have to.

Just as I expected on Friday when I picked her up from school the teacher saw me in the hallway and walked over. I knew what she was going to say, I've heard it before. "You have such a sweet little girl! She has a big heart, is so polite and is such a great listener. She's the first to clean up and first in line. Good job mom!" I should be thrilled. I should be proud. But instead I'm annoyed.

I want to hang out with that kid.

Don't get me wrong, I get glimpses of this side of my daughter, sometimes hours at a time but her worst behaviour always happens around me. My husband tells me about how much fun she is at hockey games, football games and at the movies. She's an angel for him too, why not me? What am I doing wrong that she feels the need to hit me, call me names and be borderline psychotic.

Sometimes I would trade the great behaviour at school and around other people for just a few days straight of that little girl with the big heart. I love my daughter but I just get so frustrated with the same behaviour over and over. There are only so many time-outs and I'm sorry's before my patience is exhausted and I'm a screaming crazy mess, the exact kind of mother I don't want to be.

So teacher, I'm glad to hear my daughter is a saint for you, hoping that maybe some of that behaviour will rub off on her at home. Would you please tell her to be nicer to her mommy?

No comments: