Friday, July 26, 2013

A Superhero Party For Super Kids

E and A have birthdays five days apart, so when it came time to plan A's first and E's third birthday party we decided to combine them and have one party. Like many other little boys in our momstown Edmonton family, E is really into superheroes. When I asked him what kind of party he wanted, he enthusiastically pointed to the pictures of superhero parties. I didn't want to focus on any hero in particular, so we went with a general superhero theme. It worked great! We used bright colours to decorate with and made sure to add in fun superhero accents. I even made a banner from a comic book I found at Value Village. 
Lunch consisted of sandwiches, pasta salad, fruit, and vegetables. I found some really great printables to jazz up the food (find them here). They just added that special little extra! For dessert, we had hulk chocolate chip cookies (just green chocolate chip cookies!), rainbow cupcakes, and a superhero rainbow cake. I made a simple white cake recipe (from here), added gel food coloring, and voila! A little bit of icing and some careful work with toothpicks and I think it turned out pretty neat and, most importantly, tasty!
 

I am not a huge fan of loot bags (see our blog on alternatives!), so I made no sew superhero capes for all of our party guests to wear and then take home. It was really easy to do (instructions here), and they turned out great! It just took some spray adhesive, felt, and time. I also printed out some masks I found on etsy (find them here) that the kids loved. It was so cute to see all the kids running around as superheroes! Since we held the party out on an acreage (with a trampoline), we didn't worry about party games. The kids just ran and jumped around the whole time!

The finishing touch was the piñata. I made a simple balloon piñata and painted it black. Then, I added the classic comic book "bam," "splat," and "bang" bubbles. The kids loved hitting it! And they all carefully chose their "prizes" once it broke open. I may have made the mistake of putting chocolate in it though and it had sat in the hot sun...oopsie! 

All in all, my boys had a great birthday party. All our guests left tired and happy! And after they left, my two superheroes played together until they were too tired to move.

1 comment:

Walter Schwabe said...

Oh to be a kid again...In the interest of building a better future for our children the Capital Region needs the support of the momstown community. We hope you'll participate. bit.ly/1clnaXV