Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What my childless friends don't know...

I've always wanted to be a mom, I've never had to decide whether motherhood was for me.  I have always found kids to be fascinating, how they think, play and love has always astounded me.  When we made the decision to have children, I knew it wouldn't be easy but as the old Beatles song goes I thought "All you need is love".

All that said motherhood took me by surprise.

I knew I'd be up in the middle of the night, I knew breastfeeding would hurt, and I knew that toddlers were a handful.  But I struggle daily with my children.  My 3 year old tests my patience on a daily basis and my sons sleep habits are less than stellar.  My life is busy, a little bit crazy and very loud.  I'm tired and I don't get much time to myself.

 
My childless friends look at my chaotic life and say, "I am sooo happy I don't have kids, I love my sleep" or
"I don't know how you do it, just watching you makes me tired!"

But they don't know.

 
They don't know what it feels like to be responsible for a small miracle.
They don't know what it's like to hold a screaming baby for an hour, then not want to put  her down when she finally falls asleep.
They don't know that you have literally fall in love with that messy, crying baby.
They don't know what it's like to study every inch of a baby from their tiny toe nails to the wrinkles at the back of their head.
They don't know that hearing the words "I lub you mommy" brings tears to your eyes.
They don't know what its like to see the tiny feet that you created taking their very first steps.
They don't know how it feels to watch your perfect little baby smile in his sleep.
They don't know what it's like to feel those small arms wrap around your leg for a surprise hug.
They don't know just how much you love those tiny humans.
And they don't know that it's worth every second.

 
So because they don't know what they don't know we won't fault them for thinking we're crazy.  But let's keep this a secret so they don't try to steal our precious babies : )

 

 

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some childless people do know, and it breaks our hearts just about every moment of every day.

Anonymous said...

I have always been one to contemplate whether or not I want to conceive. I have a very demanding job as a teacher with 200 kids of my own that I would go to the moon and back for. More recently my husband and I have talked very seriously about starting a family and look forward to doing so, as I now feel the time is right for us. I appreciate your article, but having been one of the woman you refer to, your reference to us stealing your children is a little offensive. Women need to feel like they are in the right place in their life for kids without pressure from anyone; a pressure I have felt way too often. Why should we be judged for waiting until we are ready. Everyone lives a busy life these days; child or no child. Choosing to put your career on hold for a while to have children is a big step and should only be done when a women is truly ready to give 100% to her family. This is something that until now I haven't been ready to do. Now I am ready. Exciting. But please don't call me a kidnapper...

momstown Edmonton South said...

I'm sorry if this blog offended those who have to wait to conceive or those who cannot conceive.

It was directed only at those who have judge my choice to have children who don't realize how rewarding it is.

I completely sympathize with you both and did not intend to offend. My sincere apologies.