Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Why Doing What You Love Will Repay You In Spades

When I found momstown.ca I thought, "Why would anyone pay to join a momsgroup??".  Then I took advantage of a 2 week free trial and realized the  value a membership contains and haven't looked back since.  After 1 year of attending events and developing some incredible friendships, the opportunity came to purchase the South Edmonton chapter.  I originally thought about how much I loved these ladies and worried that we couldn't live up to their expectations.  I also thought about how much work was involved in keeping an entire community of moms busy, happy and most of all connected.  Needless to say taking over the momstown Edmonton South chapter was a huge decision and after thinking about it long and hard Janine and I decided to jump in!


Then came the work.


I once thought that I was a computer whiz, after purchasing the license I found out my knowledge level is sub par at best!  After a month or two of frustration and a lot of hard work, we realized that we missed something.  momstown is about community.  Although things were running smoothly our vision for community had been buried as we learned our new roles. 


Moms need support, recognition and to feel cared for and our vision for momstown was just that.  We began to look at ways to encourage our community to support one another in good times and bad.  We've had incredible response and we've been so unbelievably delighted to see amazing things happen within our community.  Our moms have given so much of themselves to help each other and at times it has literally brought tears to our eyes.  Whether it was a coffee, a hug, or help around the house our community takes care of each other and we couldn't be prouder.


On a business front we've seen that partners are aware of how connected our moms are and they want to be a part of it.  This venture has been scary, frustrating but most of all rewarding.  We all know being an entrepreneur takes a lot of hard work so check out this blog for some fantastic tips on how to keep the love for your business alive.  We can't *imagine not being an integral piece of this flourishing community and we're excited to be part of an amazing team of mom entrepreneurs just like us.  We've learned that our struggles only make us stronger and they don't even compare to how much we've gained intrinsically from this endeavor!


"Never let the odds keep you from doing what you know in your heart you were meant to do."


Kristin and Janine
Your momstown mama's

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ladies are such an inspiration to me and other entrepreneurial moms. Thanks for being you!

Kelly said...

Thank you for providing an environment where both children and moms feel safe to express themselves freely. You keep us connected. You remind us that we are not alone in what might sometimes feel like our darkest hour. Without you two wonderful ladies there would be so many of us walking around lost and longing for friendships and relationships for us and our kids.