Wednesday, June 6, 2012

22 Weeks with Baby #4 - Just Let The Pregnant Woman Eat!

Okay. I'm only halfway through this pregnancy and I'm already so tired of getting asked about my food choices and cravings; "Why yes, I eat pickles and peanut butter for breakfast, lunch and dinner." I know it's mostly for conversations sake but does anyone actually crave weird things like that??

After reading What to Expect When You're Expecting 5 years ago with my first baby I felt terrible about the food I ate.  They had what to and what not to eat down to a science and I definitely wasn't meeting their expectations.  It was this moment that I felt my first twinge of mommy guilt.  After eating only what wouldn't make me nauseous for 4 months it broke my heart to hear that I hadn't been nourishing my child to the degree I should be.  I'd be lucky if my baby came out with all her limbs considering all the nutrients I had missed!  From that moment on I tried my best to eat that was on that list. I thought each piece of fish and spoonful of cottage cheese was taking my baby one step closer to genius.  After a short while of depriving myself of anything that was even mildly delicious, I broke.  I decided that if I wanted chips or some ice scream, I was going to have it.  There just isn't a carrot big enough to break a craving for something sweet. Since then I've chosen to eat in moderation but I've still had so many comments about my food choices;
  • Oh, you drink coffee? I gave that up for my baby.
  • Another doughnut? Your baby is going to be huge!
  • Your not supposed to eat that (incredibly delicious) cheese - it's not pasteurized.
This isn't my first rodeo people, I've done this pregnancy thing 4 times - I know the rules and I've made my choices.  And I don't hear a single person applauding me when they see me eating a salad or loading up on protein.  So unless you're going to offer me another doughnut - please keep your comments to yourself and just let the pregnant woman eat.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

LOVE THIS!

Sarah said...

Pregnancy is one of the only times in your life where people feel so free to comment on your body, your choices, your everything -it's astonishing! Stick up for yourself! its ok to point out if someone hurts your feelings - let them know politely and maybe they will rethink commenting next time!

Adrienne M said...

I Absolutely LOVE THIS! I say eat what you want!!!!
I didnt eat much with either of my girls but Soup and sandwiches, it was the ONLY thing that would stay down, the odd time I could eat a steak with noodles or something but very rare. I was also limited to Ice T, peach juice, ORANGE or GRAPE gatorade, and water. Oh and tons of fruit (watermelon, pineapple, cantalope and honeydew) thats it thats all. How I craved a chocolate bar and all that other good stuff, but if I ate it, it wasnt worth being sick anymore than the whole 9 months I was sick.