Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Honouring Babies Lost to Miscarriage and Stillbirth

It's been three years today.  
Three years since we didn't hear her heartbeat. 
Three years since we held her in our arms. 

Three years seems like an eternity but each and every year I am flooded with memories and sadness. We are so very grateful for the incredible children we get to see everyday and the little one I feel kicking me as I write. This year though worry has also set in.  On this anniversary we just happen to be 24 weeks pregnant - the same gestation that we lost Maya. Although no complications have arisen it can't help but weigh on my mind.  

Because Maya is a part of our family, we speak of her often and each year we've found ways to celebrate her. Some parents may struggle to find meaning and peace through milestones like birthdays and due dates.  

I have listed some ideas to honour these little lives lost. 

  • Write a message on a balloon and release it
  • Bake a Birthday cake for your baby
  • Donate to a baby loss charity such as Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep
  • Donate a blanket or bear to your hospital
  • Get a piece of memorial jewelry
  • Plant a flower or tree 
  • Write a letter to your baby
  • Buy a gift for the age your baby would be and donate it to a charity
  • Honour your baby with a tattoo
  • Light candles
  • Spend the day together as a family
  • Consider incorporating your baby's birthstone into a piece of jewelry
  • Share your experience with others
  • Buy a special memento to remember your baby
  • Volunteer to help encourage other mothers
How do you honour your angel baby's birthday or due date?

No comments: