Monday, July 30, 2012

My Advice for New Moms - 5 Things I've learned.

Being a mom of many I get asked my advice often, from what car seat to buy to how to make breast feeding work. I unfortunately don't have all the answers, I'm totally flying by the seat of my pants just like everyone else.  But I think it's my duty share the things I have learned in this crazy journey of motherhood so far.    

Get an experienced shopping buddy - I know it seems silly, but sometimes having the right swing, carrier or pump can make all the difference in a new moms life.  Don't pick a mama that had her baby 6 years ago - gadgets change and products evolve. 


Trust your instincts - You're going to get a piece of advice from everyone you know.  Listen attentively to it all, then throw out anything that doesn't sit well with you.   There are a lot of schools of thought on sleeping, breastfeeding, soothing etc.  Listen to your gut and remember that only you know what's right for your baby. 

Don't make decisions at 3am - Once that new baby arrives there will be tough moments.  Moments that require a clear head.  Do everything you can possibly do to get through that middle of the night cry or feeding.  It's all a matter of survival in the first few weeks and making a rash decision you might regret will not feel good in the light of day.

Don't judge yourself - Every single mom makes mistakes.  We've all pinched those little thighs in the car seat or bumped their heads off a wall once in a while.  Babies are very resilient.  Do your best, but if your daughter poops out a dime - laugh about it and carry on.  (please click here for the pooping out a dime story) 

Find your person (or group of people) - Find some mamas that you trust to give you honest feedback and support.  We all need a support network (like momstown) to fall back on when things get tough.  Make sure yours is set up before that baby arrives.  Postpartum hormones + lack of support = one stressed out mama.  

What was the best piece of advice you were given before baby? 
Did you have a support network in place first? 

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Best piece of advice, was trust your instincts. Moms know!! We know when something isn't right.