Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day - A Dad's Eye View

I'm not going to sugar coat anything. Being a dad isn't exactly easy. But then, no one ever said it was. For those who don't know, I have three daughters. You read that correctly. I have been outnumbered by the fairer sex since my oldest daughter was born. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

People always ask me if we're going to "try for that boy", and it's nothing shy of annoying. Yes, we plan on rounding our family unit out to six. No, not in the immediate future. And do I care what the gender is? Of course not. Honestly, at this point I'm not sure I'd know what to do with a boy ...
Don't get me wrong, my girls are great. And there's nothing I love more after a long day at work and having them rush to the door with their big grins, squealing and screaming my name. But sometimes, having three girls under five can be quite taxing on the nerves. They scream, they fight, they bicker just as sisters should. Sometimes I wonder if it goes beyond sibling rivalry.

Trying to spread myself out evenly amongst my girls (my DW included) is no easy task. I'm one man against four females. I'd be lying if I told you that I don't feel like I'm being pulled in all directions. I have a one year old, who (despite being breast fed and a TOTAL mommy's girl) still begs my attention for no less than 2 hours every day. An almost three year old who is my little monster, a daddy's girl in every way ... and she doesn't even have to try. And my big girl, four and a half year old and already able to outsmart me. Though that may not be as hard as one might believe ...

I can't help but laugh at people's reactions when I tell them I have three girls. "Wow! THREE GIRLS?!?!" Yes. That's what I said, or were you not paying attention. "Oooohhhh ... Outnumbered, eh? Bet you love your personal time!" Yes, I do. Thank you for worrying about me. But, who doesn't like a little 'me time' now and then? I get where these people are coming from, because I used to think in a similar fashion. Then when our oldest was born, my views changed. They changed again when news of a second girl was on the way. And yet again with the third.

As a father I feel I'm always adapting, changing, evolving to meet the needs of my family. And I couldn't be prouder. As we grow older, our time on this planet grows shorter (but you don't need me to point that out, you're smart). It's my lot in life to be surrounded by beautiful women, and I plan on doing right by every one of them.

Becoming a father changed my life forever, and in more ways than just extending my DNA into the world ... I'm a better person, a stronger person ... a more whole person. Being a father is the one thing in life I will never get bored of.

Thank you to our guest blogger this week Jon Vanderzyde a momstown daddy and blogger - check out his blog Dad's Eye View here!