Sunday, November 25, 2012

Mastering the Art of Couch Parenting...

As most of you know I was really anxious about adding another little person to our family.  Honestly, having 3 kids really freaked me out while I was pregnant. Well that tiny guy has arrived, he's 6 weeks old now and I have managed to keep it together (for the most part anyway).  

How does one survive having 3 kids and only 2 arms? 

What happens when you're stuck on the couch cluster feeding a ferociously hungry newborn for hours on end? These were my questions before baby arrived and I've come up with the solution...

Two words. 

Couch Parenting.

It's glorious. I've done my share fair of couch parenting in the past few months between the car accident recovery and being 40 weeks pregnant in the hottest month of the summer.  With two kids who seem to be bottomless pits of hunger and demands I've come up with some tips to help you master this new art I call couch parenting. 

Step 1 - 
  • Teach toddler to open fridge. I know, I know this is a huge risk and eggs may get broken, but I promise it's worth the training time.
Step 2 -
  • Select a drawer in the fridge and a specific shelf in a cupboard for kid friendly food only.  I have one drawer in my fridge that is strictly snacks and an area on my lazy susan with dry snacks as well.
Step 3 - 
  • Buy only fruit and snacks that require minimal prep.  If you must buy an annoying food that requires prior prep and portioning, do it the night before while you've got backup (aka Dad. Or better yet ask  "backup" to do this part). This includes drinks, always have cups poured ready for the morning.
Step 4 - 
  • Con eldest sibling into thinking being a helper is the best job ever.  Warning - this might take some work and serious coaxing.  My reasoning for this mild form of child slavery is: this older child got one on one time and attention from me that the other kids will never get.  She owes her siblings for this little advantage. 
If you've successfully completed Steps 1 through 4 you should be sitting right now while your oldest child proudly folds laundry and your toddler fetches his pre-poured milk and baggie of grapes from the fridge. 

You're welcome. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA love it

Ally said...

Love it! Awesome post!