Sunday, June 2, 2013

Being a Mom of Boys.

I've always wanted girls. I just never imagined myself as a mom of boys. It could be because I only have sisters myself and have never watched Ninja Turtles, Ghost Busters or any super hero movies. Recently on a wall at a play centers was this definition -Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.  Doesn't sound all that appealing, does it?  I probably had preconceived notions of what it was like to raise boys and thought it wasn't for me.

To my surprise I was blessed with two amazingly sweet boys.  My 3 year old little tornado is just about the busiest child you've ever seen, we joke that it's like his feet barely touch the ground. But when he stops what he's doing to give me a giant hug and big sticky kiss my heart instantly melts.  Some things are just sweeter coming from a little boy like "You is so beautiful mama." No compliment in the world can compare to those words from my sons lips. 

As I was happily decorating 50 Spider-Man cupcake and rice krispie treats for my son's 3rd birthday, I realized that this just wasn't what I imagined when my motherhood journey began.  I envisioned ballet parties and princess cupcakes. But there I was meticulously drawing webs and spiders like it was my life's calling. What surprised me once that first precious boy was placed in my arms was the immense responsibility of raising a little man.  I'm raising somebody's husband. I'm raising a sweet baby's father. I think of who his wife will be, how he is learning how to treat women from my husband and I. Men play such a vital role the lives of mothers and being called to raise two of them is an amazing gift. 
What I didn't know about raising boys is that along with the dirt and noise is an abundance of love like nothing else! 

No comments: